What I Didn’t Know In My 20s



When I was in my 20s, I had some things I didn’t know. I had parents who loved children and valued education. And my mom in particular was a disciplinarian who instilled godly values in us. That wouldn’t allow us children to do anything we want. 

We mostly stayed indoors when we come back from school and we’re not allowed to mingle with other children in the neighborhood. The only friends I had were from my school. 

During that time, I visited my friends’ homes and saw what they had. Some of them, their parents had cars. They lived in good houses. And enjoyed good things. As a young lady who was just beginning to understand life, I felt desirous. I wished I were them. 

I began to feel ashamed of myself and what I had. I didn’t want my friends to come visit me at home. I preferred we meeting somewhere else, not our house. I became too conscious and sensitive of my environment. 

Sometimes I would question why God didn’t make my own parents so rich that we wouldn’t have to worry about many things. I felt so bad.

But what I noticed then was that, despite the way I felt so ashamed of my own house, my friends still wanted to come to my house. They wanted to know where I live, and meet my parents. 

They saw something unique in me that they didn’t see in others. They felt I’m a good friend even though I didn’t feel much different. What I didn’t value or didn’t make sense to me was what attracted my friends to me. 

I was taught by good parents and trained in the way of the Lord. I was taught hard work, humility, respect, decency and godly values. Even though I felt ashamed of my environment, I didn’t feel ashamed of my parents or the values I was given.

What I didn’t know then in my 20s was that things that I was being given were things money cannot buy. And they were things that would only make me rich and satisfied later in future.

Despite the fact that I knew what I wanted, I was worried about my future and wondered if things would ever be good for me like that of my friends. I wondered when I would have what they had. And at times I could only wish I was them, having to enjoy all those luxuries they had at their disposal. 

I didn’t know the Lord had set a beautiful future before me. I didn’t know things would be much better and I would have to enjoy and even own luxuries myself. 

I realized that many things that I had worried about those times had become things of the past. How time flies and we human beings forget things. I thank God today that I had the experiences that I had and I was born in the family where I was born. I had the trainings, the lessons and the values that are helping me up till today. And for these, I’m so glad and grateful. 

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

  1. Christiana AdebayoMay 23, 2022 at 4:37 AM

    Thank you sis for sharing. We thank God for the no nonsense parents that our generation had. They taught us values, morales, contentment, manners, and so many things that is still helping us today. I hope that we are able to instill in our own kids what our parents instilled in us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turning 60 – How It Feels Like!

Embracing A Journey of Resilience And Gratitude

Welcome to 2024, Friends!